Life Journals are known for the devotional guide S.O.A.P. which helps you read, understand, and apply what God is saying through His Word, the Bible. The S.O.A.P. Method encourages regular appointments with God (AWG’s) with meaning.
Here are the steps to an AWG using the Life Journal and S.O.A.P. method:
- Pray – Cast any concerns to God and ask Him to prepare your heart
- Read – Use the Bible passage from your covenant group reading plan
- Journal – Use the S.O.A.P. method
S = Scripture: Write down a meaningful scripture from your reading
O = Observation: write 1-2 paragraph “Observation” about this passage
A = Application: Jot any personal “Application” notes
P = Prayer: Write a short prayer to God in response to your devotional reading
- Share or pray over your thoughts (5 minutes)
- Use one page in your journal, labeling each part of the entry with either an “S”, “O”, “A”, or “P” in the left margin.
- Date & give you journal a short entry title at the top of the page
Here is one (actual!) journal entry to help give you an idea of a A.W.G journal entry using the S.O.A.P method
Friday, July 15 – “One Thing Really Counts”
S Galatians 5:6b “The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.”
O The ONLY thing that counts, that has meaning, value or merit, the only thing that really matters or that I should even concern myself with is… faith! But faith needs to be expressed — not as a duty or obligation or because it earns me favor with God — but expressed through loving God and loving people.
A For me, faith expressing itself through love might mean serving people cheerfully when I don’t really feel like it. Maybe I need to say a kind word to someone who hasn’t been nice lately. Maybe it means praying to God — joyfully! — when I’m tired or frustrated or confused. This is the time I need to thank God ahead of time … and love Him — that’s faith!
P Thank you Lord for the ability to engage in the only thing that counts: Faith expressing itself in love. Amen!